Thursday, April 21, 2011

Quitting Our Jobs

I have to admit, I kinda like my desk job. 

I certainly don't love it but it's familiar and I've sort of settled into a groove which I feel like I've never really done before in my life. I used to hate having a routine and could not stand doing the same thing everyday. Working my desk job has taught me to comply to a routine and enjoy the times when the routine gets shaken up.

Also, I work with some really nice people. I (obviously) don't like everyone at work but there are a select few that I will miss seeing everyday and chatting with about life, funny YouTube videos, or whatever. 

It's easy to see how easy it would be to just stay at a good job, build a small but nice life with Spencer, have kids, and grow old. It would be easy.

I refuse to take that route. Here are my reasons.

First of all, I am not passionate about my work. It's a good job with good benefits and some fun perks but I don't love it. I don't want to spend my life working 40 plus hours a week doing something I don't love. I refuse to live that way. I want to want to go to work everyday. I want to enjoy my life as much as possible. 

Secondly, I want to be challenged and grow as a human being. I want to learn about different cultures by living in them and experiencing them. Sometimes at my desk job, I could feel my mind becoming less open. I could feel my mind being less inquisitive and more stupid. I can't let that happen! I need to explore! I want to learn about the world in a real and meaningful way.

I'm not sure if I'll love teaching English in Korea but it's worth a shot. It's better than sitting around in a cubicle dreaming of what could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment