Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Moving to South Korea in ONE week!

In six days we will be in a plane, over the Pacific Ocean, flying to South Korea to live for an entire year. 

I have never been to Korea. 
I have never taught English to anyone, let alone little kids. 
I have never lived abroad, in one place, for more than a month. 
I have never sold (almost) everything I own. 
I have never dwindled my wardrobe down to so few pieces of clothing. 
I've never had less shoes. 
I have never been so scared in all my life.
I've never been so excited in all my life. 

All these things are constantly running through my head. These things, plus things we need to do this week: cancel cell phones, get storage unit, cancel internet service, and see everyone we love one last time--just to name a few. There is no doubt that things are hectic, but I am quite calm at the moment. For one thing, I'm a procrastinator. I would rather relax and enjoy the next couple of days and then frantically do everything on Thursday and Friday. (We're leaving home on Friday to go visit some lovely people in the bay area before we depart.) Also, I don't think it's really hit me all the way yet. It feels weird not having any furniture in the house but I moved so much in college, it feels almost normal to have a half empty house for a week once a year. I was really sad when we sold Spencer's car last week. I definitely thought, "wow, we're really doing this...this is really happening!" However, we still have my car so things feel normal enough.

I think it will really hit me once we land and are in a sea of people who look nothing like us, don't speak our language, and have no problem with invading our personal space. I might freak out a little once that happens, but until then, I am going to try to enjoy every last second in beautiful California by eating as much Mexican food as my body will allow and spending time with all the wonderful people I call my family and friends.

Have you ever moved away from home for an extended period of time? If so, do you have any advice for us??? We would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment