Monday, July 4, 2011

Transitioning to Suncheon, South Korea

We arrived in our new home, Suncheon, at 11pm on Tuesday, June 28th. We left San Francisco International Airport at 1pm the day before. We were excited, sleep deprived, and smelly. 

our motel in between the Lexus Motel and the OK Motel, hehehe

The director of our school, Mrs. Hur picked us up from the bus station and took us to our motel, Sky Motel. The name "Sky Motel" was written on the towels, the pillow cases, the "blanket," and the mirror in the bathroom, just in case we forgot where we were, or something. I don't know. We had a tiny but neat room with lots of perks such as, normal sized toothpaste, big bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash, hair gel, brush/comb, q-tips, internet, tea, water cooler, lotion, mini-fridge, orange juice...as you can see, MUCH more than you would ever find in a western motel room. We didn't really use any of it but it was cool. The bed was extremely hard, as are all the beds in Korea, apparently. Not too happy about that but whatevs, I'll get over it....and eventually beg my mom to send me some memory foam if I don't. 

major intersection in Suncheon on the way to school

The next day, we went to our school, Wonderland, in the afternoon to start learning about the school and how to teach English. We are taking over Mark and Gillian's classes while they visit home for a month in Scotland. When they get back, Kurt and Carrie are leaving to go home and then we will take over their classes. So, for the next month we will have one set of classes and then the next month, we will have all new classes again! 

Wonderland; it's a castle!

While watching Gillian teach her (soon to be my) classes on that first day, I remember thinking, "Oh no, this looks so hard. How am I going to remember all these (there are eight) different books? What if I can't control the children? What if I say something wrong? What if I can't do this??" I panicked a little but was too jet lagged to run.

Spencer in his classroom

We had one more day to shadow Mark and Gillian and that day was way better. They were giving us so much information about how they teach and it was very overwhelming but I figured, "hey, I speak English and graduated from college. I can totally do this!" I think confidence came with the 10 hours of sleep I had gotten the night before.

my classroom

Our first day teaching on our own was a Friday. Honestly, I have no idea why I fretted for even a second. It was easy and FUN! I have a wide range of ages in my classes and it's nice to be able to act silly with the tiny kids and watch the older kids really understand what I'm talking about. Also, Korean kids are adorable! It's so fun to see all their cute hair clips and interesting clothing choices. On Friday, I saw a boy wearing (and actually pulling off!) yellow skinny jeans! It was awesome! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there fellow RPCV here (Cambodia 2010-2012), It seems like we have similar trajectories only the reverse. I met my partner in Peace Corps and then we decided to head to South Korea to teach English. We recently interviewed for a position at Wonderland and was wondering whether you would be willing to speak with me about your interactions with the company, the school, and whether you'd recommend working for them? My email is madeline.butterly@gmail.com

    I hope this email finds you well and if you could spare a moment or two to share your thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it!

    All the best,
    Maddy B

    ReplyDelete