Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back in the Swing of Things

If you read Destination Exploration last month, you know I was having a rough time. I was missing home and all the lovely things I was so accustomed to always having. When I asked my Aunt Deb, who is long-time expat, what the hardest part about living abroad is, she told me it was spending the holidays so far from family. She was right.

So, I brooded for a while. I let myself be sad, wrote those two posts, and then I decided to get over it.

I started by turning our apartment into a winter wonderland complete with paper snowflakes, a homemade Christmas tree made from cardboard, colorful paper chains, paper cranes, homemade stockings, a single strand of hand-me-down twinkle lights, and presents. It was nice to do some crafting. Creating things combined with all the bright colors and numerous holiday songs really lifted my spirits.

Then, Spencer's little sister, Katie came to visit us for Christmas and it was great to spend the holiday with family. We had a great time chatting about life in Korea and the similarities and differences between our jobs. She moved to Seoul in late November and we are happy to have her so near to us.

Next, we went to Japan for a week where we had a really great whirlwind of a time. We explored Kyoto first and then met up with Katie and her friend Jeremy in Tokyo for four days. We brought in the New Year at Zojoji Temple with the famous Tokyo Tower glittering in the background. It was a wonderful vacation and was exactly what I needed.



It rejuvenated me. 

Now, I really feel back on track. I made some resolutions and a plan to accomplish them. I'm feeling very happy to be here in Korea and living the life of my dreams. I know things can be hard to handle sometimes but it's all part of the experience. I've had way more good experiences than bad and I'm looking forward to all that 2012 will bring.  

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling great again! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andi! :) Happy New Year to you, too!!

    ReplyDelete