Monday, April 16, 2012

Cat Cafe in Seoul

I thought it was going to smell terrible and I was going to hate it but I decided to go to the cat cafe anyway. I mean, why the hell not? I'm here, it's here, and it makes me uncomfortable which means I might learn something or grow as a individual, or whatever it is they say.


From the moment you walk in, the cats are everywhere. 

The first thing you do order a drink. The price is more than your average cup of coffee (about $7-8), but you are paying for the experience of seeing/playing with the cats as well as the beverage.

While ordering and waiting for your cups, get a good look at the rules. It was good to know what was allowed and what would cause us to get kicked out. Thankfully, they had an English copy to show us.

It included obvious things like "don't hold the tail please" and not so obvious things like "don't pat cat's bottom" and "don't tease the cat with straws." I thought cats loved getting teased with straws (!) but at this point, I wasn't sure I was even going to touch a cat so I wasn't too bothered.

Katie and me watching the cats
We made our way to a table and sat. Not too sure of what to do, we just sat for a while watching the cats. There were about 30 cats all roaming around the cafe: some sleeping/lounging, some eating, and a few playing.

I saw male cat spray on the window sill near where we were sitting and I about wanted to leave right then! We had just gotten there, so even though I was thoroughly disgusted, we stayed. We later found out that that cat is referred to as the king of the cafe.

The amazing thing was in a few minutes all the spray was gone. It somehow magically seeped into whatever material was covering the window sill, which was simultaneously cool and gross. 

The cats are so well loved by all the attention giving patrons that none were rushing up to us begging to be petted or rubbing on our legs as we sat. In fact, the cats were so lethargic that one of the employees went around handing everyone a few cat treats to get them excited and moving around.

It was only when I was handed a cat treat that I decided I would pet one....just a little scratch. I wasn't getting too crazy or anything.

See how stoked I am? ha!
It was actually a pretty fun experience...until I saw the hairless cat. When I saw that thing stalking around, I was ready to leave. I didn't want that cat anywhere near me. Thankfully, some little Korean girl coaxed it into sitting on a pillow in her lap on the other side of the room.

With our drinks drained and the hairless monster roaming around I was more than happy to leave. It wasn't smelly and I definitely didn't hate it, but I think I'll go to the dog cafe next time and skip the felines. 




6 comments:

  1. Maggie, I am cracking up! "With our drinks drained and the hairless monster roaming around" Hahhaha! You are too funny. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha! I'm glad you like it. :) You saw my face when that thing came out! It was scary!!

      Delete
  2. I'm terribly allergic to cats so I won't be going to a cat cafe EVER. But the dog cafe....that I cannot wait for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to got o the dog one, too!

      Delete