Friday, March 1, 2013

Angkor Wat, Adventures on the Tourist Trail

Angkor Wat is a magnificent collection of ancient ruins in northwest Cambodia. There are so many that it's impossible to see them all in one day and some people stay for a week to view them at their leisure. Since these ruins are so impressive, nearly everyone who visits Southeast Asia comes to see them. Everyone, including us.

Angkor Wat at sunrise
It seems silly to say I wish there were less tourists there, since I am a tourist myself and rampantly encourage others to travel and explore. BUT, I do wish there were less tourists there. There, I said it. Get over it.

the most annoying sunrise, ever
The ruins themselves were very cool and after we ditched the superbly crowded sunrise watching spot (pictured above), we got to explore a bit of the grounds without being surrounded by people. It was blissfully serene and otherworldly. I felt like an explorer again.





As the day wore on, people were everywhere. The temperature rose and more and more people seemed to swarm in from every direction. It was all very beautiful and very old and very cool, but we'd seen enough. The magic was gone. The magical morning light, the serenity of being alone with the old stone structures. It all dissipated with the morning mist.  

Even though I'm complaining, it really was extraordinarily amazing. I'm glad we went, crowds and all. 


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos Maggie - you really manage to capture the serenity and emotions you can experience when you wander off alone though I understand why you left early because, as you said, the crowds etc kind of ruin the mood.
    Really love the photos though!

    ReplyDelete