Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Two Months Until Ethiopia

Photo by Ohnsoon Kim
Blogging has been on the back burner so far in 2014 but it's about to pick up in a big way. In just two (TWO!) months we'll be in Ethiopia! On to a new country we will go. I'll be ready to explore and I'll be sharing all my field notes here, of course. Until then, here are some updates.

Some good news from the Peace Corps: I'm medically cleared! Yahoo! :D I'm so happy. I would hate to bore you with the details, but getting medically cleared took a lot of trips to multiple doctors and lots of money. I'm so glad it's over!

Two months seems so close but in the meantime, if you want to learn more about Ethiopia and the Peace Corps presence there, I would recommend this website. It's run by the Peace Corps staff in Ethiopia and has lots of good information. They really did a nice job on it, don't you think?

I feel like I'm constantly preparing for all the changes coming up. Mentally, I'm ready. I'm so ready to go! But physically, I still have a lot to do! Here's my to-do list:

  • Whittle down my wardrobe, once again (I always re-assess my clothes before moving) and possibly adding some new pieces when I get back to California (yay, for cheap American prices!)
  • Study Amharic. There are some free lessons online and Peace Corps told us to start if we had time. The alphabet is super daunting with over 200 characters to memorize! I need flashcards. 
  • Eating as much western food as I possibly can, mostly Mexican food.
  • Hugging my family and friends in California when we go visit in June. Can't wait to see everyone! :)
  • Taxes for both the US and Australia. (Ugh) 
  • Enjoying Australia as much as possible during this last month. This is such a great place and I'm so happy we took the opportunity to live here. Enjoying Australia also includes our trip to the Great Barrier Reef! I'm so stoked!!
  • Of course, the inevitable packing up everything here in Australia, visiting our storage unit in California, packing up things for Ethiopia. Pack, unpack, pack. This is my life. 

P.S. The photo above is from the Peace Corps Ethiopia website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment