Saturday, May 9, 2015

Life is Hard

Life in the Peace Corps is not easy. There are days when nothing seems to work out well and when those days stretch on into a week and then a month, it can really wear on you.

The guy on the bus who is taking up way too much of your personal space can seem like a massive problem when you already haven’t showered for a week, all your devices are dead because the power has been out, no one came to the training they said they wanted and you meticulously planned, the rat in your ceiling is keeping you up at night, and if you have to eat another bowl of soup for dinner, you will scream. But remember, you represent the United Stated of America 24/7, so don’t lose your sh*t!
It can be physically and emotionally draining. Sometimes, we need a break. Sometimes, we just need to get away from our rural town and into the big city. Sometimes, we need a little more help and want  to go see the counselor/therapist the Peace Corps works with.

I've had a hard time over the past few weeks. It’s hard for me to write this post, because I am admitting to everyone that this is hard and I need help to make it through. However, I do need help and I don’t want people to think that it’s bad and weak to go see a therapist if they need it, especially other Peace Corps volunteers.

Every Peace Corps experience is different, but I know that we all have some things in common and one of those things is: “Peace Corps life is hard.” We all knew this signing up, and maybe even most of us wanted that hardship, but that still does not make it easier. Thinking about living in hardship and actually living in hardship are two very different things.

So I went to see the therapist and she really helped me a lot. I have some new strategies and ideas to try out at site and I’m feeling a bit better already. This is a hard journey, but I’m hoping with a lot of hard work and focusing on one day at a time I’ll make it through to the other side of Peace Corps service stronger and more capable than ever.   

4 comments:

  1. I love how raw and honest this post is. I am so proud of you (and Spence, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here for you...The Shiloh Comunity is so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hug you and spence so much right now!!!! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys! Keep your chin(s) up. Sending you lots of love. -Megan

    ReplyDelete